Saturday, October 31, 2015

It's Halloween. Here are 11 terrifying Tom Waits tracks

I know what you are thinking tonight. "What Tom Waits songs should I play on Halloween?"

Fair question. As everyone who knows Tom Waits music knows, there is Tom Waits for all occasions -- and especially Halloween.

I have chosen 11 tracks, not because there are just 11 (hell all of the the "Bastards" disc on his Orphans triple album qualifies, let alone all of Black Rider) but because there were the 11 I just happened to fucking choose. JUST FUCKING ENJOY THEM YOU GODDAMN BASTARDS!




* * *



'I swear to God I hear somebody moaning, low...'




When the moon is a cold chiseled dagger
Sharp enough to draw blood from a stone
He rides through your dreams on a coach
And horses and the fence posts
In the midnight look like bones



Now the raven's nest in the rotted roof
Of Chenoweth's old place
And no one's asking Cal
About that scar upon his face
'Cause there's nothin' strange
About an axe with bloodstains in the barn




That's when I heard my name in a scream
Coming from the woods, out there
I let my dog run off the chain
I locked my door real good with a chair




The barn leaned over
The vultures dried their wings
The moon climbed up an empty sky
The sun sank down behind the tree
On the hill
There's a killer and he's coming
Thru the rye
But maybe he's the Father
Of that lost little girl
It's hard to tell in this light




Everything has its price
Everything has its place
What's more romantic
then dying in the moonlight?



Under the Big Top tonight
Never before seen
And if you have a heart condition, please be warned



Okay, there's your story!
Night-night!




And as we discussed last semester, the Army Ants will leave nothing but your bones.



There was thunder
There was lightning
Then the stars went out
And the moon fell from the sky
It rained mackerel
It rained trout
And the great day of wrath has come
And here's mud in your big red eye
The poker's in the fire
And the locusts take the sky
And the earth died screaming...




The quill from a buzzard
The blood writes the word
I want to know am I the sky
Or a bird
'Cause hell is boiling over
And heaven is full
We're chained to the world
And we all gotta pull
And we're all gonna be
Just dirt in the ground


Yeah. I know. Don't thank me, just buy me a beer some time. You can eve n do so via the Pay Pal button on the right hand side of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment